Kirsten Maier, MA PhD (ABD)
Licensed Psychological Assistant
Kirsten Maier has 15 years of therapy experience working with a wide range of individuals, couples, and groups in Canada. She is a Ph.D. Candidate and is working as a licensed psychological assistant on the road to becoming a Psychologist in California. Her approach is tailored to you, using efficacy-based therapy techniques. Counselling offers a special kind of listening. Kirsten uses your relationship with yourself and the world to help you find personal healing and growth. In a respectful and safe environment, you can explore the resources within you to deal with life’s choices and challenges.
Kirsten can assist you in the following areas:
– Personal development and life transitions: discover choices and possibilities.
– Clarify relationships: respecting each unique voice in the family.
– Manage your emotional well being: depression, anxiety, anger, grief, and trauma.
– Care for your self: care of the professional and informal caregiver
– Draw from your whole person: intellectual, emotional, physical, social, creative, and spiritual.
– Multi-cultural: She has experience helping expats and foreign students. She has had the privilege of working in Aboriginal communities.
Kirsten has a specialty in Depth Psychology and recently completed 2 years of training at the C. G. Jung Institute in San Francisco. Kirsten’s undergraduate training in psychology was at both the University of Lethbridge and in Munich, Germany. Her graduate training was conducted at the University of British Columbia in relational psychoanalysis, dreamwork, and spirituality. She has also enjoyed teaching undergraduate courses at UBC and supervising master’s level counseling students. Her work has encompassed entrepreneurial and non-profit experience with the development, implementation, and assessment of services on a provincial level.
Kirsten’s practice is guided by her personal life experience and therapy. She is a trained musician and can say she enjoys the music at Yoshi’s and The Freight & Salvage equally. Kirsten believes that listening to life is a powerful way to live with meaning and joy.
“After two of the worst years of my life, I just wanted to give up. Kirsten’s respectful attitude and gentle probing helped me to re-value myself, and I now have a more positive outlook. I am a changed person and now I can get on with enjoying my life.”